Bring communities together, promote education through reading, and encourage young people to engage in peaceful activities and sports.
Inspire our youth to unite and reach their greatest potential.
SHOOTING FOR PEACE is a program spearheaded by global ambassador & former NBA player Jerome “JYD” Williams, and NBA Legends. National events supporting Jerome’s non-profit JYD Project, Inc., READ60, and the Chapters of the National Basketball Retired Players Association (NBRPA) bring together local community members, schools, and students, creating memorable experiences and offering
- Read60 Book Distribution: NBRPA chapters strive to “improve literacy rates throughout the world through book distribution and bring unattainable experiences to life”. The goal for each event is to distribute 25,000 books to local District School Board students in elementary, intermediate, and high school in each city.
- Panel Discussion:An open forum discussion for youth and community members with featured speakers from the local community and special celebrity guests.
- Poetry-Writing Contest:High school students at participating schools will have the opportunity to tell JYD and his panel of friends what Shooting for Peace means to them by writing a one page poem on the subject and presenting it to the panel for prizes and scholarship donations.
- Scholarship Awards:The University of Alabama is offering scholarship opportunities to qualifying students who participate in the poetry-writing contest. Each scholarship is valued from $2,000 up to approximately $100,000 (for full tuition and books).
- Celebrity Basketball Game:Former NBA, WNBA and Harlem Globetrotters players take the court with local high school talent, police, celebrities and community members for an afternoon of entertainment, music and amazing skills.
About JYD Project, Inc.
The JYD Project is a 501(c)(3) youth development organization for kids ages 5 – 18 that encourages young people to realize their full potential and partners with other charities that support and serve youth. The JYD Project assists students in becoming positive and productive adults through fun and engaging educational based programs.
About Choo Smith Youth Empowerment
Choo Smith Youth Empowerment is dedicated to developing and implementing programs that facilitate positive growth in the lives of the youth we serve, as well as their families and community.
About the National Basketball Retired Players Association
The Las Vegas Chapter of the National Basketball Retired Players Association (NBRPA) is comprised of former professional basketball players from the NBA, ABA, WNBA and Harlem Globetrotters. It is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization with a mission to develop, implement and advocate a wide array of programs to benefit its members, supporters and the community.
Read60 is a project of Celebrity Publishing, based in Newport Beach, CA. Celebrity Publishing is proud to be a Women’s Business Enterprise certified (#2005120280) and is female owned and operated. As both a female and minority owned company, we understand the difficulties in accessibility and lack of emphasis on reading, and that stops now. Our mission: To encourage children to read and through the exercises and activities in each Read60 book, light a fire for the quest of knowledge.